CTA’s premier member training is returning with a variety of workshops and this time it will take place in your home! We are bringing CTA members the best of the Summer Institute presented in an online, interactive environment. This virtual conference will be provided free of charge to CTA members on July 27-30, with a focus on preparing you and your local for the challenges that lie ahead, and a special emphasis on the unique issues we will all face as we return to our school sites in this new era of COVID-19.
Each morning of the Summer Institute will start with short general sessions focusing on core issues for all educators, then you have the option of selecting a morning and early afternoon elective. On Thursday, we will close the week of learning with an early afternoon general session. Attendees will have the option of choosing electives of interest or may decide to focus on a particular track of sessions. Use your personal email address to register and watch your inbox for confirmation and meeting links.
The topics of the elective sessions emulate our classic Summer Institute tracks:
- Charter Educators Organizing & Bargaining: designed for charter union leaders and activists.
Communications: these sessions will focus on using storytelling, social media and other technologies to collaborate with your colleagues and communities.
- Community Engagement & Coalition Building: learn to deepen relationships, build power, and take collective action within your communities to foster student success.
- Economic Justice: association leaders will be taught how to become knowledgeable and persuasive advocates for economic justice and the education profession, especially in these times of political extremes.
- Emerging Leaders: intended for CTA members who are beginning or want to begin their activism in their local union.
- Bargaining Skills: participants will learn basic skills and knowledge important to all bargaining team members, with a focus on current bargaining issues during the COVID-19 pandemic.
- Instruction and Professional Development: these sessions will focus on addressing the needs of educators on how to address trauma and self-care for students and themselves.
- Member Benefits: these sessions will help association leaders build their skills to engage members in new ways around member benefits. These sessions are also for members looking to understand and use the wide variety of benefits available to members.
- Member Organizing: this fast-paced course will focus on the skills, actions, and proven best practices to recruit, engage, and organize members in our chapters and at every worksite.
- School Finance: in these sessions, attendees will learn to analyze district finance, and how to use this knowledge to prepare for negotiations during an economic recession.
Access the CTA website for more information on the Summer Institute: Home Edition by following this link.
Reprinted from the CTA message to your personal email dated July 7th, 2020.